A recent discovery, this has quickly become a family favorite to ward off the nippy mornings. Whether you are looking for fertilty friendly foods or just want to improve your overall health, this is a great addition to your breakfast repertoire. A healthy and hearty breakfast option that provides fiber from oats and pumpkin, protein from egg, and nutrients you need to get your day going so you can do your best at school or work.
More than just for jack-o-lanterns, pumpkins are an amazing superfood - providing Vitamin C to boost the immune system (especially important with the coming cold & flu season). Extremely high in fiber and low in calories, pumpkin packs an abundance of disease-fighting nutrients, including potassium, pantothenic acid, magnesium, and vitamins C and E. The key nutrient that boosts pumpkin to the top of the superfoods list is the synergistic combination of carotenoids, noted for their cancer fighting properties.
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup water, almond milk, or rice milk
- 1/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 tbsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg, beaten
- brown sugar
- pinch of salt
1. In a pot, heat the oats and water (or milk of choice) over medium heat.
2. When it comes to a low boil, turn the heat down to medium-low and add pumpkin. Heat and stir for 5 minutes.
3. Stir in spices, salt, egg, and vanilla extract.
4. Pour into bowl and sprinkle brown sugar and pecans on top.