I never took my ex's last name during our marriage.
1) I was too lazy to change the paperwork.
2) Having a Chinese last name is more advantageous as an acupuncturist. Cuz everything being equal, a person's gonna probably choose an acupuncturist with a Chinese name over a name like Jones. People seem to think that my Chinese DNA is magically infused with some special knowledge that's been inherited through the centuries.
I cited reason #2 as justification to my husband cuz #1 would have been ill-received by him and might have caused a wee bit of friction. ;)
Meh - it worked out. I didn't have to do any additional paperwork when we divorced. Yeah for small favors.
Personally, I don't know why some women hold on to their married names after divorce. Is there something I'm missing? Maybe security for the kids?
Anyhoo, it doesn't matter. I'm not judging.
But I do feel it would make it harder to move on emotionally when you have such a tangible daily anchor to the past.
It's not just ex's last names we can't let go of.
It's our beliefs shaped from our childhood and cemented as adults.
Stuff like we need to marry and have kids by a certain age. Unfortunately, modern times keeps marching forward while our biology lags behind.
Nowadays, it takes longer to find a good, stalwart baby daddy and partner. Often cuz we're focused on getting our shyt together professionally first.
So when the time comes for baby making, it seems like you're late to the game.
But, alas, keep in mind that our life expectancy is now well into the 80s and even edging into the 90s now.
With our prolonged life span, we are motivated to extend the quality of our lives by slowing down the aging process. New anti-aging research uncovers ways to maintain our youth. The exciting part is that you can take advantage of this information to help improve egg quality and kick the "advanced maternal age" bs to the curb.
I geek out about this stuff so can't wait to share these discoveries with you when I re-open my online fertility coaching program. So stay tuned...
Natural Fertility Eggspurt
The Real Deal:
- Natural Fertility Coach
- Licensed Fertility Acupuncturist for 18 years
- Master in Traditional Oriental Medicine, Magna Cum Laude
- B.S. Microbiology & Molecular Genetics, UCLA