Ever notice that a lot of East Asians get really red in the face when drinking?
That's me too.
About 50% of us have problems processing alcohol so that we skip right past the buzzy, fun effects of alcohol and start feeling shitty right away: flushing, racing heartbeat, headaches—the works.
I'm bummed that I've never experienced an alcohol-induced buzz. :( Am I missing out on anything?
So I'm a cheap date. And designated driver since I don't touch alcohol.
Although as I was researching for this email, I stumbled across a product that claims to help people like me. It's in my Amazon cart now waiting for me to order. We'll see if it works. :)
Here's the deal about drinking when trying to get pregnant.
You should be avoiding it completely. Period. End of discussion.
But real life challenges your resolve. And you bend the rules. Especially since it's the weekend.
So if you're really going to partake in libations, here are some guidelines...
- Choose distilled clear spirits e.g. vodka, gin,tequila, whiskey
- Beer has the most toxins of any alcoholic beverage because of the grain fermentation.
- Sorry, but wine is not a health food. Excellent marketing has suckered y'all if you believe that. Wine is full of unfiltered yeast which triggers yeast growth and histamine. One of the biggest problems with red wine is the presence of mold toxin.
- Take Vitamin C and/or glutathione supplements when you drink to protect your cells.
Oh, and if guys think they're exempt for this restriction. Think again!
Researchers found that couples in which the male partner routinely drank alcohol were less likely to have a successful pregnancy than couples in which the male didn't drink alcohol.
The breakdown products of alcohol are what cause the most biological damage, and those byproducts are produced even when your body metabolizes alcohol quick enough to avoid a buildup of toxic byproducts (which causes the hangover). So even if you can drink like a champ, you're still susceptible to the damaging effects of alcohol.
Some of which include:
- slower communication between brain cells (optimal hormonal regulation is dependent on brain function)
- systemic inflammation
- sexual dysfunction
- liver impairment so it has a harder time detoxifying your blood
Drink at your own risk. As a non-drinker, I assure you that you can have fun without alcohol. Truly.
For the geeks out there (myself included), here's the genetic reason why we have so much problem with alcohol...
Around 80% of Asian people (less common in Thailand, Laos, and the Indian subcontinent) and almost all Japanese, Korean and Chinese people have a gene variant that converts alcohol to toxic acetaldehyde at a much higher efficiency than other gene variants (40-100 times faster!).
In about 50% of East Asians, the increased acetaldehyde accumulation is worsened by another gene variant which results in a less functional acetaldehyde dehydrogenase enzyme, responsible for the breakdown of acetaldehyde. The result is that affected people may be better at metabolizing alcohol, often not feeling the alcohol "buzz" to the same extent as others, but show far more acetaldehyde-based side effects while drinking e.g. flushing, racing heartbeat, headaches.
Have an awesome ee
Know someone dealing with infertility? Forward this email to her and invite her to opt-in for daily emails at zenfertility.com/top10.
Natural Fertility Eggspurt
For fertility acupuncture appointments in San Diego, call me at (858) 495-0771 or book here: http://juliechang.genbook.com/
The Real Deal:
- Licensed Acupuncturist for 18 years
- Master in Traditional Oriental Medicine, Magna Cum Laude
- B.S. Microbiology & Molecular Genetics, UCLA